Saturday, August 6, 2011

Bogotá, Day 2 (August, 5th)

Thank goodness the patio party crew wasn´t active for very long and I could leave my earplugs in their package. After getting ready I leave the hostel and as the weather is pleasant enough, I decide to take the cable car up 3150 m high Mount Monserrate, which is supposedly the best place to have a great view over this huge city. So I wander along the lively streets, enjoy my fresh pineapple and mango, wash it down with some fresh orange juice and then, only a few minutes later, find myself on top of windy Monserrate. The view is magnificent!




Just as impressive is the birdlife, especially when considering the altitude. I´m particularly fond of the different kinds of hummingbirds that seem to find themselves in constant rivalry. I could spend hours just watching them (well, I kind of did...)





Back in town I walk to the so-called Centro Internacional with its many shops and highrises. It´s also the home of Colombia´s highest building, the Torre Colpatria. The Parque de la Independecia is a little green oasis in the middle of this concrete jungle.

Old meets new - colonial church and the Torre Colpatria

Torre Colpatria and Colombia´s national tree, the tall wax palmtree

Bullfighting is quite popular in Colombia, too.



A gem in the Centro Internacional is the National Museum, which boasts an impressive collection and explains Colombia´s history really well. The building that houses the museum is part of this history - it was once the city jail and two cells are left the way they were.



Then I stroll back to the colonial part of the town and the bright sunlight makes the houses look even more colourful than the day before. I don´t know what to say - I really like it here in Bogotá!






In the evening I meet with my Chilean friend Francis, whom I haven´t seen since 2003. We´re having a great time talking and walking to Torre Colpatria, where we want to see glittering Bogotá from the 50th floor. But when we get there, we can see fantastic fireworks from the top of the tower and soon it becomes clear that due to today´s football match of Colombia vs. North Korea in this year´s U20-World Cup (hosted by Colombia) we won´t make it to the top of Torre Colpatria. But there is compensation at hand, because thousands of Colombians have gathered at the foot of the building as the area has been turned into a big public broadcast spot. We´re having a great time and when Colombia score their first goal the mood is overflowing. During the half time break there´s an incredible laser show and everybody dances on the sidewalk. What a night!


Torre Colpatria lit up in the national colours


No comments:

Post a Comment