Friday, August 26, 2011

Excursion to the Islas del Rosario (Rosary Islands) and Playa Blanca (August, 26th)

I wake up even before my two set alarms go off, because for the first time today the sun shines right on my pillow - and makes me sweat tremendously. As I can´t get rid of any clothes I might as well start the day. So I get up and all geared for today's day at the beach and to a chain of coral islands off the coast of Cartagena. Perfect weather for a lazy day! On the way to the harbour I stock up on water and provisions (coconut candy of course!).




Even puddles are beautiful in Cartagena!



By the time I reach the (near) harbour I´m already soaked. Temperature´s in the mid-30s, and it´s only a quarter past 8! There are already flocks of people waiting at the harbour and everybody wants to go to Playa Blanca on Isla Barú - it´s not going to be a robinsonesque experience, this much I know. We wait for the departure of our speed boat in the hot sun and I already empty water bottle no. 1 of 3. Time to buy some more! 



When I signed up for the trip I was told it was a 45 min cruise to the islas del Rosario, then another 20 minutes to Isla Barú and of course I wouldn´t get wet unless it started to rain. After 25 minutes we are still in the Bay of Souls and only reach the outer fortresses that once guarded the entry to the city by sea. Some youngsters paddle up and dive for coins (or bills, they don´t mind that they don´t sink...). Only five minutes out in the open sea and I´m soaked to the bones with sea water splashing over me... lesson learnt - never trust people trying to sell boat trips in Cartagena! 



To my (and other people´s) surprise we don't go to the Islas del Rosario first but head for Playa Blanca, drop off a group of people who don´t want to see the coral islands and the oceanarium and then we speed off to the Islas del Rosario. Waste of our time, but nobody really seems to care. The Islas del Rosario are a Caribbean dream come true - transparent waters, exhuberant vegetation - they only lack beaches. But they´ve got the oceanario instead, a cross-over between SeaWorld and the aquarium of a zoo. It's nice - they even put on a shark show, but probably not worth the 13 euros one has to pay. 

First stop - Playa Blanca


















After 45 minutes we hurry to the boat and have another wet and bumpy ride back to Playa Blanca. Just as we get there a thunderstorm with copious amounts of rain unleashes - and lasts all the time we spend at the beach. Whatever happened to the picture-perfect blue sky of just a few hours ago?!? Before it´s time to enjoy the rainy beach we all have the lunch included in this tour. Fried fish with coconut rice and patacones (patties made from a type of banana used for cooking). It´s delicious!!! That was today´s highlight. I then rent a kind of tent to have some protection from the pouring rain, strip to my swimsuit and go for a dip in the clear and warm water. Back in my shelter I want to read on in my García Márquez novel, but alas, can´t, because the beach vendors don´t grant me one minute of solitude and reading pleasure - and I´m NOT exagerating. This is even worse than Indonesia and that is to say something! Even in the water there are people trying to sell snorkels and the like. I´ve never seen anything like this. No idea how often I've told people I don´t like oysters, am not in the mood for lobster, don´t want a cocktail or a necklace... I am actually glad when we leave this place, that could be bliss but today was quite the opposite. Pity!





Back in Cartagena I head for the shower to wash off all the sea water - first with all my clothes on, then taking them off and cleaning them one by one. Feeling more human I leave for a supermarket, buy dinner, but only after following the eery sunset. The sky colours everything red - it looks quite spooky and unreal.




The rest of the evening passes with blogging, reading and an earlier night (or so I hope, as it´s only 9 pm)

No comments:

Post a Comment