Thursday, August 25, 2011

Cartagena (August, 25th)

I wake up late and only because I´m starting to feel really hot in my room. I must have forgotten to set the alarm last night... well, divine intervention! I enjoy the shower which is far from cold even though they don´t have warm water here. The tank must be on the rooftop... I get ready and leave for my first destination. When I open the door to the veranda I feel like stepping into a steam sauna fully dressed. I wouldn´t have needed to towel off... Even more so, because I´m drenched and soaked after walking only a couple of hundred meters.







A thermometer shows 38°C and it´s steamy. Climbing up the huge fortress of San Felipe deBarajas, a masterpiece of military engineering and architecture built on top of and  around a little hill, is hard work. It´s worth the effort, though! I´ve never seen anything like this place. Cannons to all sides to protect the city from marauding buccaneers and pirates (many of them were British and received a title, one fine example is "Sir" Francis Drake). The fortress is criss-crossed by many tunnels that form an impressive maze and connect all parts of the building.







Back in town I buy my breakfast / lunch - a bunch of granadillas and a yoghurt (who would like to eat more when it´s hot hot hot?!?) - not to forget plenty of water and coke! Then I return to the hotel, buying a mango, conveniently cut in slices, have brunch and jump into the pool. Wonderful! 

When my body temperature is a bit lower I return to the city. On the way to the old centre I arrange my trip for tomorrow - a boat trip to some islands not too far away from here. Time to hit the beach! But that´s tomorrow - today I visit the church and convent of San Pedro Claver - the first saint of the New World. Some four hundred years ago this man came to the very modern conclusion that African slaves were humans, too, and deserved to be treated accordingly. He provided healthcare and food and thus saved many lives - many of whom were baptized by him as well. The patio of his convent is a haven for tropical vegetation - you can hardly see the building with its beautiful and gracefull cloisters!







En route to the magnificent theatre I visit the small but interesting gold museum, have a pleasant chat with 2 Jehova´s witnesses (and I really mean pleasant!) and buy an ice cold coconut and Caribbean coconut sweets.








 The theatre is an architectural gem and the guided tour is fantastic but I almost miss today´s sunset! No time left for a sundowner, so I buy a can of Club Colombia beer, get on the wall and enjoy the show. It´s not so much the actual sunset, but rather the many colours of the clouds that make it so pretty.












Soon it´s dark and I return to a restaurant I have seen before. I have grilled fish in a garlich oil sauce, potatoes and coconut rice and this time it´s delicious! On the way back to the hotel I buy my dessert - more coconut candy - and then I have another swim, a warm shower and write my blog. That´s all, folks, I want to go to bed early today!

No comments:

Post a Comment